This past weekend my kids tried cannolis for the first time at our farmers market and let’s just say they fell in love with them. When I suggested that we make mini cannolis for Mini Chef Mondays they were so excited. We kept the recipe really simple and fun. With three different toppings, there was something for everyone. My son loves all things chocolate, my daughter loves all things strawberry and I love a sweet and salty combination. The mini cannolis turned out so cute and delicious, not to mention really pretty!
We started by rolling out dough. I typically make my own dough when I make pie, but for this recipe we went with a store-bought dough.
Next we cut out circles. I didn’t have a round cookie cutter so we used a 1/2 cup dry measuring cup and it worked perfectly. We then put the circles into our mini muffin pan and cooked them for 10 minutes.
For our filling we mixed ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. The kids love using a pastry bag to squeeze out filling.
Next came the fun part, toppings! We used mini chocolate chips, strawberries and pistachios. Feel free to get creative with toppings.
Mini desserts are so fun. Some of our other favorites are mini pumpkin pies and mini pumpkin cheesecakes. When you are entertaining, guests love small desserts so that they can try a variety. These mini cannolis are perfect for holiday entertaining!
- 1 pie dough crust, packaged or homemade (defrosted)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350. Sprinkle pie dough with cinnamon sugar and roll out. Using a cookie cutter or something else small and round, cut out circles and place in a mini muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray. We used a 1/2 cup dry measurer in place of a cookie cutter. Bake for 10 minutes and then allow crusts to cool completely.
- Combine ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with a mixer until smooth. Scoop the mixture into a pastry bag and squeeze into each pie shell. Top with strawberries, chocolate chips and pistachios. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 5 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls Rice Krispies // Courtney’s Sweets
- Chocolate Dipped Candy Canes for Gift Giving // Finding Zest
- Easy Christmas Snacks That Look Like Christmas Trees // Eating Richly
- Chocolate Dipped Candy Canes // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Mini Cannolis 3 Ways // Vegging at the Shore
- Salt Dough Christmas Trees // My Mini Adventurer