I have limited space in my kitchen so appliances have to really earn their keep to stay on the counter rather than getting tucked away in a cabinet. This honor goes to appliances that get used often enough that I want to have them at my fingertips. This special space is reserved for my food processor, blender, stand mixer and juicer. Yes, that’s right, my juicer has a special place on my counter. I use it weekly so it’s front and center.
I became interested in juicing when I was first diagnosed with ulcerative colitis over fifteen years ago. I could not tolerate raw vegetables but was able to tolerate juice. I still enjoy it all these years later and now even more so that I have kids. You don’t need a fancy juicer. Here is the one I have that works great and is less than $50.
I do not keep store-bought juice in my house. We make our own juice and here is why I love doing it:
- It’s better for you than anything you can buy from a store shelf. Even if you are buying organic juice at the store, it still has additives to make it shelf-stable that you just don’t need.
- I have written about how much I love my weekly delivery of Door to Door Organics. If I have vegetables that I didn’t use or are starting to wilt, they get juiced. It’s a fantastic way to use up produce.
- My kids will snack on whatever is about to go in the juicer. They love to help me juice and I’m happy to see them munching on fresh fruits and vegetables.
- It’s an activity! People always say to me, “the days are long but the years are short”. Yes, this is true, but sometimes days with four year-old twins are endless, especially in winter. Juicing can easily take up a half hour and if you have small kids and are looking to fill the hours, this is really helpful.
- It tastes really good. Juice is not only for my kids. My husband and I drink it too.
I put practically anything in the juicer. Here is the recipe for one that I threw together last week that was excellent.
If you make your own juice, what are your favorite flavor combinations?
- 1 beet, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 bunch of beet greens
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- Put all fruits and vegetables through juicer. Stir and enjoy.